Monday, May 30, 2011

Citadel Metals - Battle's End

I warn you now, this post contains a profundity of maudlin sentimentality, so if you're not ready for some serious nostalgia, best to pass by...

I've been a gamer now for 25 years, and I've enjoyed every minute of it. I've made a lot of great friends through the hobby in that time, and I love it as much now as I did when I picked up White Dwarf issue 95 (which I still have) as a 12 year old and was immediately hooked. My first miniature was a scimitar wielding chaos dwarf, which I also still have. (I've only just started a chaos dwarf army, so he'll certainly be seeing battle again soon) So, it's with some small sadness that I say goodbye to the metal Citadel miniature.

Back when I were young, it was all metal, far as the eye could see lad! The first plastic kits were only just about to appear, the legendary space marine RTB01 set for 40k, and the fantasy regiments set for warhammer. The Citadel miniatures of the mid to late 80's are still among my favourites. The change to resin certainly feels like a full stop on an era. Like most, (let's forget the price hike for a minute) I'm approaching this with cautious optimism, I'm still a little concerned about it's sensitivity to heat, it's durability and how safe it is to work with as far as filing and dust are concerned, but I guess that'll all come out in the wash soon enough as folks get their hands on them. The lightness of the material bodes well both for assembly and the design of future miniatures, so the jury is still out.

Anyway, I bid a fond farewell to the venerable Citadel metal miniature, A stalwart through my many years of gaming. I'm sure they'll be haunting ebay for years to come.

6 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing and touching one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too, I'm tempted by the new tomb kings liche priest, he's a cracking model. I don't play tomb kings, but I'd love to paint up that guy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got to agree with the nostalgia of the post, though I won't miss metals at all.

    I started playing with this stuff when I convinced my parents to get me Heroquest in or around 1990, and depsite a decade or so 'off' in the middle, the things that appeal to me are still all there.

    Anyway, even if Games Workshop never make a metal miniature again, there are plenty of other manufacturers out there to scratch that itch if you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nah, I don't think I'll go hunting for metals over resin, it's more the end of a period I'm musing over. Besides, I have enough metal minis waiting in the press to keep me going for years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My first White Dwarf was one in the 90's (issues not years) and I was around the same age. We must have started the hobby at very nearly the same time. I'll miss the metal minis personally. But mainly because I can be a bit sentimental.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Indeed, I know what you mean. I am Mr Sentimental when it comes to old Citadel miniatures.

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...