Friday, January 13, 2012

Fimir - Human Allies


As the fimm unit trundles along on the painting table, thoughts turn to the rest of the army. I have four units assembled and primed, and you can see another prospective unit above, allied Albion tribesmen. This would count as a unit of forty chaos marauders, and is made up from a variety of different Celtic style miniatures from a cornucopia of different companies. I have a penchant for Celtos/Chronopia figures as I think they fit into the warhammer style better. There are three unit fillers in here to give them a more mythological feel and make them look less like a unit of historical celts. From the left to right, there is:

The Fachen: A creature from Scottish/Irish mythology with only half a body, a single leg, arm and eye. This Fachen is called Nesnas from a story in John Francis Campbell's Popular Tales of the West Highlands features a Fachen named Nesnas Mhiccallain being defeated in a race by the story's hero, Murachadh Mac Brian, who became king of Ireland.

The Dagda: Tales depict the Dagda as a figure of immense power, armed with a magic club and associated with a cauldron. The club was supposed to be able to kill nine men with one blow; but with the handle he could return the slain to life. The cauldron was known as the Undry and was said to be bottomless, from which no man left unsatisfied. (The cauldron will be making an appearance elsewhere in the army)

Kelpie: The kelpie is a supernatural water horse from Celtic folklore that is believed to haunt the rivers and lochs of Scotland and Ireland. This fellow is more like a were-horse, but I think I can get away with making him a kelpie.

At the moment the champion is a bearded chieftain, but in time I'd like to use the female Celtos hero with the horned helm, both because she's an awesome miniature (despite the bikini. Sigh.) and as I want to give my fimir a less malignant relationship with humans.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to seeing these painted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Fachen is very cool... where's he from? Now, under what terms are these humans supporting the Fimir? For gain, to protect their own or for some other dark and possibly horrific purpose?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he's an old Alternative armies mini from their Celtic range. There were Fomorians too, if I recall.

    These humans are a tribe that inhabits the lands bordering the bogs these fimir inhabit, and are allied to this fimir clan through blood and tradition, and as such often go to war together. It gives me a chance to add some variety and use units like horsemen, as I can't see a fimm on horseback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, I'm going to have a marsh chariot for my Flaithmor at some point. That's very celtic! Just checked out the AA Fomorians, they look kinda like Gremlins. Good for an orcs and gobbos army but not how I'd imagine the Fomorians to look. Looks like your beasties were from the 'Gods of Erin' range, and very fitting with the wierdo Fimir look they are too! Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had them for years, always knew I'd find a home for them sometime! I picked up a gael chariot from Celtos yesterday, looks the part, should work nicely with a fimir passenger and human driver.

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...