Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Ettin Update, Stags & Vanishing Terrain Kits


Work continues on the ettin's skin. I have to say, I do love acrylic medium. It's a magical liquid. I've used it plenty before, but never in the quantities I'm using on this guy. I created a series of flesh washes for the initial shading that were much thinner than usual. At his size, the ettin's skin needed much less contrast than a 28mm model. I added more yellow to the mix for recesses, under the arms and between folds of flesh. substitute in red and purple for wounds and around the eyes and jowls and he's almost ready. I dirtied up his feet a little too, I wanted it to look ground in rather than filthy. I still need to do the lips, and touch up a few areas. Then onto his loin cloth, rock and goat-bottle.

In other news the wild riders images are prancing about the internet this morning. Now here's a kit I can get some use out of. I'm a little concerned the stags are too slender to mount a hefty fimir mistmor on though. I'll need to see the sprues up close. The helmets are the business. I also noticed the elf rangers have hooded heads that would make great cultist conversion bits.


Finally, it seems that a great deal of the terrain kits Games Workshop produce for both Warhammer and Warhammer 40k are being discontinued. Looking at Element Games and Wayland Games, most of the Warhammer kits are already unavailable. On the UK Games Workshop site they have started vanishing too. Kits like Dreadstone Blight are unavailable, and the old Temple of Skulls is gone altogether. So far only the barricades are gone from 40k, but I did hear kits like the Skyshield Landing Pad and Honoured Imperium are getting the chop. If you're looking to get some of these plastic terrain sets, now is the time.

I want one of these. Anyone?

8 comments:

  1. Ooooh, Ettin looks fantastic. Creepy. We will have to chat about the step by step process involved at some point. Is it taking a lot of time? Painstaking or enjoyable?

    There are a couple of those plastic terrain sets that I would like to get, but to misquote Christina Aguilera, my heart is saying yes but my wallet/mortgage is saying no. Ho hum.

    The Garden of Morr is an absolutely fantastic kit. Thats one that will be worth cash in future if they pull the plug on it. Its versatile in terms of layout/components and thematically useful for things beyond Warhammer: (Hammer Horror games, modern games (if you gloss over the obscene number os skulls), zombie games, Scooby-Doo games, Buffy games, Buffy/Scooby-Doo crossovers...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Paul. Once I had the mixes down, it was actually pretty quick. One brush loaded with mix, and another damp brush for blending it did the trick 99% of the time. The level of detail and texture on the skin means the model almost paints itself. Easily the nicest resin kit I've worked on. However, I have yet to attach the loin cloth, which looks to be a bit a fiddly job. I had to pre-drill some pinning holes to make sure it all lines up when I'm assembling it.

      I have the garden of Morr, it's a brilliant kit. I would like a couple of the vanishing kits, but seeing as I am able to locate models 20+ years OOP, I imagine a plastic kit barely off the shelves can keep a while too.

      Delete
  2. Glad to hear you're progressing on the Ettin. I can see why you're wet blending with him. Not something I can do well myself, but I think it's the only way to approach this figure.

    GW discontinuing something? Oh perish the thought :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Ettin is beautiful. You'd have to seriously hack at the stags with a soldering iron and some green stuff, maybe add a good tuft of matted hair around the shoulders. They're just too clean, certainly for the grungy Fimm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fimm. The stag would need some heavy de-beautifying before it would be worthy of a fimir rider!

      Delete
  4. Wow, impressive work on the Ettin. I have never approached painting skin on that kind of scale so I am keen to see how this one progresses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean, me either, though I guess the marlywyrms I did were a close second.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...