Wednesday, March 18, 2015

All Quiet on the Martian Front - First Test Model

Having settled down on a few ongoing projects for the foreseeable future, I am now flitting between them. I'm finding this is keeping my painting mojo high. I decided to crack open the box for the 15mm game All Quiet on the Martian Front and have a go. This drone was the test model for the Martian side. I love the design for the Martian Front models, human and Martian side alike, though there's a lot of bits for some models.

He's still quite big, being on a 40mm base. A bit of a bugger to assemble, with the fitting for the legs being a couple of millimetres too wide for the legs. A touch of greenstuff sorted that though. Painting was very quick, as I decided to keep to a simple metallic scheme. I'll introduce a second darker metal tone on larger models. I did hit him with a green glaze around the joints and such, but it's pretty subtle, so I'll turn it up a little for the next drone. They come in pods of three, so I'll have the scheme down by the time they are done. After that I might tackle one of the huge assault tripods.

The base is from Gladius Game Arts with some added debris from Sgts' Mess, which is a goldmine of various goodies. The bases come in urban and rural, these being the rural ones. They larger bases come with train lines, broken walls etc. I plan on hunting down some HO scale early 1900s automobiles for burned out wreckage on the larger bases.


10 comments:

  1. Ta for the link to Sgt Mess, will be spending the next hour going though it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Arguably apart from the cart wheel, that a pretty scale neutral model. Its cute. If thats a 40mm base then it must be about 30mm high itself too, beefyier than it appears in the shot. When you get the next one done you might do me the favour of including a 28mm alongside, just to get an idea. If you dont mind :)

    How did you paint the silver? I have yet to settle on an approach to silver that I am happy with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He could easily be used in a 28mm game. I'll pop up a comparison with a 28mm model next time. John is already looking at BEF mono-wheel tanks for his Leprecians.

      The silver is Army Painter Platemail sprayed over primer. It's fine as a base coat, but apparently not so great as primer. Touch up with GW Chainmail. Wash with 50/50 Lahmian Medium/Nuln oil wash. Drybrush with Necron Compound. Glaze with 50/50 Lahmian Medium/Waywatcher Green glaze, and brush the glaze neat into the recesses and wet blend out. Another light drybrush with Necron Compound, and done.

      Delete
    2. That sounds nice and quick to apply. Working smarter, not harder, I like it.

      Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Lovely job that, the metals are great, that nice smooth and clean finish is something I need to work in in the future, so I'll be giving that method a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochie. It's all down to diluting the inks and glazes with medium really. Gives you way more control and you can build up depth over a couple of applications.

      Delete
  4. Great stuff! The bases are really top notch!

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...