Tuesday, November 29, 2016

The Shadow Empire - The Yeren


I initially had some trouble locating the main characters I wanted to use for the Shadow Empire. LoPan and the yeren were particularly bothersome. That was until I was made aware of 'The Demons' set from North Star Military Figures (thanks Colin!) for a Fistful of Kung Fu. This was a set that solved all my problems and gave me a few extras to boot. So armed, I could field some of the main villains from  Big Trouble in Little China.

Hey baby.
The Yeren always intrigued me in the movie. No explanation is ever offered as to why this hairy niutball is wandering around LoPan's hideout, he just kind of shows up and does his thing. He seems to be in thrall to LoPan though, so it makes sense to add him to the retinue.

The Yeren, or Chinese wild man, is a kind of demon/orangutan/gorilla/hobo combo. He's a curious wee fella with his sloth-like claws and too-wide mouth, and he adds some much needed colour to the army. I kept the colours pretty close to the movie character, though it took me a couple of attempts before I was happy with the face.

Check out his monkey buns.

That then gives me two of LoPan's retinue done with four more to go. Next up will be a triumvirate of demons, Ching Dai's enforcers. Before that though,  I'm taking a short detour for something Heroquesty and something a little seasonal.


11 comments:

  1. There's just the right amount of malevolence in this guy like in his movie counterpart.
    Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mr Assless, he was an enjoyable fellow to paint as he was quite a departure from what I've been doing of late.

      Delete
  2. Apart from the great paint job, the base is a ripper! Really sets him off :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. He sat better on the 30mm base, so I used the extra space to add some tasty bits.

      Delete
  3. You are really going all in on this project, and it's great! Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly! I do tend to vanish down the rabbit hole when I find a project I like.

      Delete
    2. I'm glad you do. It's makes for interesting reading. ;)

      Delete

  4. Sometimes its best to avoid the "official" colour scheme. Other times its better to embrace the reference and go right on the nose.

    That is great, immediately recognisable to any fan of the movie.

    If I walked past the army at a convention, it would be the yeren that would make the reference click with me I expect.

    Im very excited about seeing Lo Pan painted. Will you go for the glowing eyes and mouth look? Could be tricky, but if it was the glow just as its beginning then it might work better perhaps.

    Im rambling. Famntastic work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much, anything that can make someone cop what the theme is without being told is a good thing!

      For LoPan, his mouth is covered by his arm on the mini, but the eyes could still be made to glow. I may go for that in fact, it would emphasize what features you can see nicely.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...