Saturday, October 18, 2014

Freshening the Dead


Recently, with the return of Nagash and the general undead vibe going around, my thoughts have turned to adding some new bits and pieces to my undead army. It's been a few years since I worked on it, and I have a hankering to add some new units. I have a lot of old lead sleeping uneasily in their cardboard graves, awaiting the call.


With that in mind, I've been looking at the basing scheme on my existing undead units. I'm not entirely sure I still like it, but I can't make up my mind. The black does frame the miniatures nicely, but maybe it's time to update it to something a tad more realistic and earthy. I'm considering breaking one of my own cardinal rules here, and going back over old work, but it wouldn't take too long, a couple of weeks. It's more a pain in the arse. I'd rather do that though than paint new units to match a basing scheme I don't think still cuts the mustard. I've been looking over them for a couple of days, and I think I can't see them anymore. Is the flock getting a little tired looking? Would more of a dark earth work better with some tufts etc?

Or are they totally fine as is, and I'm a madman for even thinking about it?



Here is where you come in, dear reader. To re-paint the bases, or not? You tell me. I've scattered some samples from the army so you can see the existing scheme. I leave it you, as I'm 50/50 right now...










7 comments:

  1. Don't do it! Don't give in to the tyranny of muddy-edged bases! Plain black rules!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the edges will always be black, no contest. It's the colour of the earth that puzzles one.

      Delete
  2. The bases look great. Leave 'em alone and get back to work on that Genestealer cult!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree with the above comments, I rather like how you've currently got things going basing wise.
    and considering how many different projects most hobbyists I know have on go, don't add another unneeded one to the list/queue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Jessica. Almost everyone I've asked tells me I'm mental for even considering it. Okay! Desicion made, the dark bases stay.

      Delete
  4. Go for contrast. Period.

    Army colors: Warm (yes, they are undead but mostly you'll see lots of bones -warm white- and red for blood, vampires' robes and shades of it like the violets more on the magenta side, plus yellows)

    so...

    bases: cold

    Bottom line, stay with grey bases they're perfect at this point.

    ReplyDelete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...