Sunday, September 2, 2018

Man O'War - Khorne Bloodship



A Khorne Bloodship is a fearsome vessel to behold. It is a vast, towering war machine that grinds across the surface of the waves, its armoured prow snapping open and shut like some great beast's maw. The massed banks of its beaten bronze oars cut through the water at inhuman speed, and deep within its titanic hull great drums are beaten in incessant rhythms. As its jaw opens, whirling blades and pounding hammers spring forth, and great gouts of flame roar skywards.

The hull of a Bloodship bears the device of Khorne, the Blood God, on its bronze-plated hull. Ranks of Chaos Warriors cram the decks and boarding platforms, eager to rend the flesh of their enemies and bring skulls before their Lord. The coming of a Khorne Bloodship is a time of dread indeed.

The latest addition to my nascent Khorne fleet is my flagship, the HIM (His Infernal Majesty's) Guns of Anarchy. The Khorne is dialed up to eleven on this ship. Articulated skull faced prow for grabbing enemy ships, big flame cannons that fire napalm coated skulls and immense Khorne flags. Subtlety is an alien concept to Khorne.

I painted the bloodship in several sections. After reading up on some old pirate traditions I decided to give the Guns of Anarchy red banners rather than black. A red flag, or Bloody Red, as they were known, when flown by a pirate ship meant that their victims could expect no mercy. Not that you can expect any from a howling Khorne boarding party anyway, but making the right first impression is so important.

The banners are coloured card that I covered with some truly ancient transfers. A note to you all: be careful putting Daler Rowney matt varish on paper. I have noticed it can whiten in places when applied to paper. Such was the case with these flags, but nothing a little touch up couldn't fix.

The small but growing Khorne fleet.
The fleet is still tiny, numbering but four ships, but the chaos shipyards (imagine being the foreman there) are currently beavering away on a squadron of Ironsharks. If there's anything better than a big skull with clamping mandibles and a cannon mouth, it's a big iron shark head with snappy metal jaws.

8 comments:

  1. His Infernal Majesty's fleet is shaping up. I'm terrible with transfers, old and new alike. I think your sails and banners have turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. I think bearing in mind the age of the transfers and the help I had from Microsol and Microset they've turned out pretty good. As with all first time attempts I'd change a few things were I to go back, but then, that's always the way eh?

      Delete
  2. Ohhh, so splendid! Not a pleasure cruise indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! No pleasure, these guys are all business.

      Delete
  3. I really like how your approach to painting metals gets these away from brightly-coloureds 1990s goofball territory and looking enuinely creepy and evil. I'm saving these all in a big reference folder for when I revisit my Epic World Eaters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curis. It amuses me no end to try and make these ships looks scary, they are Skeletor level over the top. I'm painting loads of Irons sharks at the moment. Trying to paint glowing eyes and wondering where the rust would convincingly settle in on a giant nomnomnom shark head attached to the prow of a boat makes me giggle.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...