Thursday, February 14, 2019

Genestealer Cult - Acolyte and Metamorph


Ahh, back among my brothers and sisters of the cult. It feels good. Feels RIGHT. Today I present two new members of the Kabeiri, or the Cult the the Wyrm Forged, brothers Groust Yogoth and Aldren Dekker. The acolyte kit is a box of gene-cursed wonders, with so many gribbly bits and pieces in it I spent two nights just playing with parts before I settled on the two fresh-faced lads above. As a wanderer in the outer darkness for many years, I cannot tell you the joy of so many cult kits and parts available now. It's magical.


Brother Dekker is carrying a rock saw. It was always going to be the first acolyte I made. It's so metal. After joyously rooting about on the sprues, I assembled Dekker in three parts, keeping his head and the saw seperate. Woe betide anyone who glues it all together and then tries to paint it. Yes, you can't see the back of the saw for the most part, but now I know it's given as much love as the front.

There's quite a bit of detail on these boys. pouches, icons, tubing, belts, blasting charges and so on. It's make Batman throw his utility belt over a bridge in shame. It's nice how closely the design echoes the old hybrids from the 80s. The backpack is particularly close, but there are lots of design hooks that hark back. They feel like they were made with no little love. It's the best of both worlds for me; gorgeous modern design combined with the nostalgic aesthetic of the original range. Epic win.

Having learned some lessons on assembling painted sub-assembles lately, I used surgical gloves when handling the parts and made sure to re-drill any pin holes to remove any paint that had gotten in. It's amazing how that can make a perfect dry-fit into a nope once painted.


I tried a little spotting for the highlights on the carapace, I think it makes it look a little rougher, more like a lobster or crab shell. I've seen some folks try mottling on the craniums too, I might give that a go next time.


Brother Yogoth has a metamorph claw and hand flamer, plus a big old face of tentacles. I love the Ymgarl strain. I plan on doing a Ymgarl purestrain soon as well, get the whole family together. 

The claw is fantastic. I don't even know what it does in the various games I can use him in. I just want it. I do hear hand flamers are the thing, which is handy as that's what I gave him. It was hard to get a good angle on the claw, and it's a little blurred there. Sorry about that.


With these two done, I'm almost ready for Kill Team, and that also feeds into my Necromunda gang and my modest 40k force. I'm quite keen on getting the bikers box as there are female heads in there, and I want to sprinkle them into my neophyte unit. I have designs on getting some (meaning all) of the new characters, especially the nexos and magus. The new set of characters are a boon to the cult. The kelermorph in particular is one of the most gorgeous miniatures I've ever seen.

Family time is important. 
So, next up I think it's time for an icon bearer, which I require for every game system I can field the cult in. Loving the utility GW. Something old with something new for that guy I think.


A wee shot of some of the clan. I think the new guys sit nicely beside the venerable old hybrids. I may throw up a post on the evolution (eh?) of the cult ranges in the future.

My reckon my hooded Magus is going to change careers to become a Locus, making way for a new lady to take charge.

18 comments:

  1. Those look amazing man. Love the dapple effect on the carapaces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Riot. I hope the effect works out on larger areas like the carapace on purestrains and the patriatch, but I think it will.

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of your Cult. Each mini is a character by own right. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber. I'm very much enjoying the cult mojo at the moment, so I'll ride that wave as long as I can.

      Delete
  3. a very tasty coven. You're making the new GSC models hard to resist. I almost bought the Bikers the other day, but I have so many projects on the table right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sean. The bikers are a particularly nice kit. You get quite a lot, and the conversion potential is huge.

      Delete
  4. Gritty yet vibrant! Very nice Dave. Love the little conversion on the chaos champion to tie him in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grove! That chaos champ was a sad ball of abused lead when I got him, I had to hand rear him back to health.

      Delete
  5. Mate these look absolutely beautiful. I love all GSC stuff and you have done an amazing job with these guys! Top stuff!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Legio. I'm hoping to stay with the cult for a while now, there are so many I'd like to paint up. We're totally spoiled for choice.

      Delete
  6. That's awesome work. You can tell much love has gone into painting these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leif. I do have a lot of affection for these evil guys.

      Delete
  7. I enjoyed looking at your Genestealers so much that I went out and bought the Locus.

    Why do you wear surgical gloves? Is it to stop getting fingergrease on the minis? Or is it to handle bits easier? I've never come across that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curis, glad you liked them! Nice choice on the locus. I'm keen to see how you tackle him. Bare head or hooded?

      With the gloves, that's pretty much it. Pressing together painted parts with bare fingers tends to sometimes leave a shine I dislike, and the gloves give better grip. Anything to ease the tension of gluing painted sections together.

      Delete
    2. I went with the hooded head as I was using it for a teaching piece on wet-blending purple cloth. Though, now it's finished, I'm a bit tempted to sub it out for the other head as the shapes are more interesting (the extended hood looks like a dome in the test photos).

      Thanks for the info on the gloves!

      Delete
    3. I'm keen to see it. That was kind of my deal with the hood too, I like it, but I don't know if it suits that mini in that pose. I'll have to wait until I have one in hand to see. Plus I like the idea of using the hooded head on the Sanctus, I'm not crazy for the mouth on the head he comes with.

      Delete
  8. Looking great! I always love seeing some nicely painted Hybrids.

    And yeah, the Metamorph Claw is a good option in addition to looking cool. It's basically like giving him a Power Maul. I do kind of wish there were an option for it to be held pointing in, more like a crab claw, tho. The pose GW uses for Crushing Claws always looks so awkward to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The claw is quite straight, so it's hard to assemble it at an angle where you can really see it front on. I may convert the next one, should I do another.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...