Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Undead - Markus Vellen & Gert the Hood


Tonight my final two recruits for my undead Warcry warband join the ranks. Markus Vellen, wight, and Gert the Hood, lowly skeletal spearman. Markus is another of Gary Morley's legendary wights, while Gert is yet another Bob Olley, though not one you see about too much.


Look at that helmet. Pure metal.

I used the same technique on Markus that I used previously on Einar Haugen. Again, contrast paint made painting the black armour a breeze. I spent more time on his cloak than on his entire suit of plate. The green-tinted axe and red cloak give him a little more jazz, and there's a purple pouch in there too someplace.


I used the ever handy Typhus Corrosion on the hem of the cloak to weather it a little. There's a wee spider on the base too, if you can make it out. 


Gert is a simpler fellow, though he did get a spider too. As with all things Olley, his ragged hood and tunic led me down many a merry path. I found myself painting bone as cloth twice. Never underestimate a Bob. 

With these two complete, I now have a full Warcry warband ready to Harryhausen it all over the Eightpoints. Of course, I'll be adding some more members as the warband grows. A nice big undead beastie maybe. 


As you can see, there's a distinctly Deadite flavour to this warband. Three spear armed skeletons, three with sword and shield, a skeleton captain, two grave guard with wight blade and shield, one with great weapon, a seneschal and a necromancer make up the starting band, the Swords of Dreux.

20 comments:

  1. Love this warband Dave! Hope to play against it in the future. I’m really quite taken with Warcry atm as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grove! I'd LOVE to give your beasts a good kicking.

      Delete
  2. I know Bob's skeletons are a bit mind bending, but each time you paint a new one I'm amazed they aren't considered the best range of undead Citadel have ever produced. Lovely new additions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Axiom! It's always worth it. Bob undead are just marvellous.

      Delete
  3. What a great looking collection of figures

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know that Olley, but it's pretty charming. Fantastic job on both!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Suber. That Olley is a shy one. I needed a spearman, and my small stash of Olley skeleton spearmen had him in there, happily.

      Delete
  5. Awesome stuff. I'm so pleased I've stumbled across this blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What I like about Gert is how he's clutching his tiny shield so tightly to his ribs. Or it might be a large badge. Are there enough hints of arm when you look at it from behind to know which it is?

    Lovely painting on those old Morleys. Your dark armour colour gives them a lot of weight and makes them look like cold slabs of evil just risen from the grave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curis! Gert does have some arm bones poking out from behind that shield, which he is holding onto for dear unlife.

      Cold slabs of evil would be a great name for a unit.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...