Monday, August 10, 2015

Judgement Day - Orlok the Assassin


This week's Judgement Day offering is one of my favourite bad guys from Judge Dredd, Orlok the assassin. Orlok was an East Meg One agent who poisoned the water supply of Mega City One, leading to the mass outbreak of block mania, the precursor to the Sov invasion. He also killed Judge Giant. Yes, Orlok is a massive jerk, but he's one of the few who can go toe to toe with Dredd in a fist fight. A must have for a Sov collection really.

Suck on that Dredd.
I had a bit of a conundrum with Orlok's colour scheme. I was not in love with the colour scheme of the outfit the model is based on. Here's the original:

Nope.
While I like my comic character miniatures generally to follow established colour schemes pretty closely, I wasn't going to go down this road with Orlok. He just didn't seem like a bright and lively kind of guy. He doesn't give you a fair chance to reach for your gun, he just shoots you in the head. More than once, in all likelihood. So, I had a look at the Mongoose version:

Double Nope.
No joy there either. That hair...

So in the end I went for a pretty modern looking scheme, with a worn leather jacket and boots, black trousers and gloves. I put most of my time into the face. Orlok has a very distinctive scar, and I accentuated it a tad to make it more of a point of interest. As the gear is very modern day, (If we ignore the rolled up sleeves. Orlok is so hard he can roll up leather sleeves.) I also added the smashed Judge's helmet to anchor him back into the Judge Dredd universe.

Next week it's back to Cheetor for another dose of Judgement.

8 comments:

  1. He sure looks like one mean bastard, all great choices colour wise, now I'm seeing the one from the comic book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Eagle Comics coloured reprint of "Block Mania" and in that Orlok has overalls that are a slightly darker green than a Judge's boots, and bright red boots and gloves. Not much better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He looks good MrS, I quite like his distinctive pistol.

    Those old 2000AD colour spreads and covers from that era really are not definitive to my mind. They are defined as much by the limited printing technology as anything else.

    Im not sure what is going on with the official Mongoose scheme, which is technically nicely applied and fits into my vision of Mega City One for sure, but not really right for Orlok.

    Good choice anyway. Oh, I reckon that the jacket has those short 1980s sleeves. Primarily a female item in the 1980s, by the 2100s even super spies could be wearing them.

    https://img0.etsystatic.com/049/2/7326479/il_570xN.718555688_si3a.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers. He's a little more subdued than his shoulder pad toting countrymen, but I felt that was right for Orlok. I reckon you're right with the jacket, but then, Orlok doesn't need to prove his manliness to anyone, and I'm pretty sure he's wear heels and a LBD to get the job done if needs be.

      Delete
  4. I think you made the right choice with the colours Dave that all red just looked awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. I know he's a Sov and all, but there's a limit.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...