Thursday, September 26, 2019

Undead - King Slough


Today we have a real gem. Painted for the #paintabob competition on the Oldhammer Facebook page, this rotting monarch is from Essex Miniatures. He looks like he's spent several weeks down a well. He was ludicrously fun to paint.

When painting this fellow, I used the painting technique for rotting flesh used by Tyler Mengel of Mengel Miniatures. Here's the recipe should you wish to try it yourself.


As you can see, it's mostly washes. This suits Olley sculpts extremely well. It's also much more fun to play about with washes instead of laboriously layering skin, which suddenly becomes a cloak. Or an ear. Or a portal into the nightmare dimension.

King Slough might be a bit past his prime, but he still gets a big screamy face shield.

I painted the rest of the king to match my other undead. He's certainly going to be going into my Warcry warband, probably as a seneschal. It'll give me a lot of chuckles to see him go to town on some svelt chaos warband, imagining him shouting "What's that sonny?" and "Here's how we did it back in my day!"

"I can't remember why I'm here!"

Look at him there. A born leader. Shame his ears are slowly navigating their way into his beard. Still, many lols are to be had with this guy I'm sure.

12 comments:

  1. Love him, I don't really know why I find him cute and want to pat his head but I do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something fiendishly adorable about him.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Asslessman, he's really cute in a rather revolting way. Perhaps its his cheeky little grin or single winking eye! Washes seem to bring out the best in Olley sculpts - they do all the heavy lifting and give some clarity to all those sculpted details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean. I feel like I want to get him a comfy chair and a cup of tea.

      Washes are the truth and the way for this kind of sculpt.

      Delete
  3. What I like most about this sculpt, is that it captures in metal the moment you dunk your miniature in fresh clear Nitromors and all the paint waffles up into big crinkles. In fact, I thought that what was actually happening when I saw your WIP photos.

    Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Perhaps our king died in the bath, not to be reanimated for several years. That would lead to such an epic case of wrinkly toes.

      Delete
  4. This was a great entry into the competition. I look forward to seeing him in person one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sean. I hope so too! His Warcry tale will begin soon Nagash willing, once I have his fellow wights finished.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...