Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Undead - Sergeant Wollf


It's that time of year again, and so my thoughts turn back again to my first love, the undead. I'm adding to my undead at the moment for Warcry, and the bug has got me to paint more. 

This guy is from the Triumph of Death kickstarter, from Skull & Crown. At the time of writing they are running their second kickstarter, Triumph of Death 2. For an undead fan, it's kind of an unmissable kickstarter.

Death and the Abbot From Holbein's Dance of Death. Yes, you can get an undead bishop as a miniature.

The inspiration for the range comes from the work of the likes of Dürer, Holbein and Bruegel. I am a huge fan of their work, so I was very excited to see it realized as a range of miniatures. There are some real greats in there, such as skeleton with giant fish. Mordheim anyone?

Wollf carries a rusty but still deadly Zweihänder.

As for Sergeant Wollf here, he will serve as a skeleton champion in my undead warband. I get the impression he was quite the dapper gent in life, as most Landsknecht  were. I bet his hair was magnificent. There are even some wisps of it still clinging doggedly to his skull. I bet he combs it when he thinks nobody is looking. 

I have refined my rusty armour technique a little more on Wollf's gear. Sometimes I like it more orange, other times more red or brown. It depends on the model.


You can see here that the ToD miniatures are actually quite big. Looking at them online I thought they would be quite small, but no, they are pleasantly chunky. Wollf is seen here leading his small but growing unit.

More undead soon, including some super groovy Gary Morley wights.




12 comments:

  1. Love the style of those, a fair bit of memento mori going on which is ace. There are many styles of undead around so it's tricky to tie them all into something coherent but the last picture sure shows it can be done to an extent with a real nice and cohesive paintjob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're a really nice range. It can be a stretch to achieve coherency with the myriad styles of undead out there, but I don't fret over it too much.

      Delete
  2. That is a particularly nice skeleton model, and the atmospheric paint job is lovely.

    Another great Mr S project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheetor. He's probably my favourite from the range, thought there are several strong contenders.

      Delete
  3. Incredible, amazing paintjob. I was quite tempted with this KS, and I'm regretting to not have backed it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber! The second one has just finished, I'm sure you could sneak in with a late pledge.

      Delete
  4. I really like how you painted him. I'm pretty sure I have him in my skeleton hordes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your approach to colour with your Undead. You make them so full of life. (Unlife.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly fair sir. I do like to imbue my minions with a fragment of my essence.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...