Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Genestealer Cult - Rogue Trader Hybrid


Another hybrid finished. This time we're going old school. This is one of my favourite models from the Rogue Trader era. I didn't get this guy in a fortuitous ebay bid, no. He's been in my possession since he was first released. He's had to wait some decades, but here he is at last. Quite a fiddly model to paint, with a lot of recesses and awkward little details, but for all that a real joy to have finished.

I did agonise over what colour to paint his armour. Black, purple, red, all were considered. In the end, with the scheme I chose, a simple metallic seemed to work best. It also has the advantage of highlighting all the wonderful detail in the armour ribbing and various joints. I did paint the little backpack/powerpack on his back green, which I'm using on guns, satchels and so on as well.

Here he is with his new school brother. Now to give them someone to boss them around.

"Back in my day, lad, a hybrid could wear a wristwatch and not be called on WYSIWYG."

12 comments:

  1. Very rich painting on a classic model. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Hendrid. I wish Goodwin had made a lot more of these hybrids.

      Delete
  2. Lovely, subtle brushwork. How long did it take. Tell the truth now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sah. Oh, I'd say an hour or two each night for about the bones of a week. 8 hours or so I'd say.

      Delete
    2. It shows. The last time that I spent that sort of time on a model was probably Jodorowsky. I tend to start overworking some areas at that stage though and I tend to rush things and undo previous good work done (as I did with Jodorowsky). Not a problem that you seem to have :)

      I guess that I could force myself to spend longer on models for the extra finish, but reducing output volume is anathema at this stage. Im too impatient anyway, robot horses for robot courses etc.

      Im dying to see the Magos.

      Delete
    3. That's pretty standard for me. Overworking is always a hazard, but I've learned to call it done now, without endlessly tinkering as I used to do.

      Considering how much time you must spend on an individual, your quality level is astounding, frankly. In my dreams I can paint whole squads in a week to that standard.

      The magos is well underway, but there's a lot of detail. He'll be done in time though, but I won't be cutting any corners. I learned that lesson the hard way last time.

      Delete
    4. It was a psychological effort to force myself to take more painting shortcuts and it led to a long time where the subpar experiments were the output. I learned lots though.

      It was worth it in the long run for me, as the volume of output versus input while still far from perfect, got much better. That in turn generated more, different sorts of games played too, meaning that on the whole the hobby sits better with me.

      I do have standards that I wont drop below though, even for a deadline. Compromising the line that we set for ourselves for a self imposed deadline doesnt solve anything. Making more realistic commitments is a much better plan than rushing nice models that we have waited a literal lifetime to paint.

      Anyway, pontification over. Some day I am going to see a large number of these hybrids leaning on the bonnets of their limos across the table. That will be a good day.

      Delete
  3. First, the model is really really nice .
    Second, Hey man !!! What drug you take? Your paint level increase so much! Cool production. Bravo ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nico. As to what drugs, perhaps it's the excitement of a new project, but more likely it's the judicious use of acrylic medium.

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...