Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Stargrave 1 - Beginnings of the Murderband

A change of direction here at the Mumblings this day. A grand meeting of my compatriots is planned in a few month's time for some Stargrave action. This meeting is a follow up to last year's very enjoyable Ghost Archipelago meet-up where I took the crew of The Kraken on to greater glory and had a very fun time doing it.

This year it's all sci-fi flavoured, and I'm using it as an opportunity to paint up a group I've long wanted to see on the table, namely Vortag's Murderband, Vortag is a character from my very earliest days of gaming, a World Eater Captain fallen far from his glorious origins as a brother of the XII legion. With just a scant few of his brethren left in his company, he has been forced to recruit warriors of lesser provenance in order to bolster his ragged command.

But despite his predicament, his ambitions are lofty indeed. 

One of these lesser warriors is Conrad Freig, beloved of Khorne. A mortal berserker, Conrad's devotion to the creed of gore is total. So pure was his faith that on his death, Khorne, though taking Conrad's skull as his due, breathed new life into his torn corpse. Conrad rose again, altered, but filled with almost unbearable zeal, ecstatic in the knowledge that his own skull had been deemed worthy. He, and others like him now serve as devastating line-breakers for Vortag's warbands.

Conrad is a Diehard mini, and I used a combination of contrast and standard paint techniques on him. Contrast paints are settling into my painting armoury nicely now. I love making glazes with them, and I've taken to using Wraithbone primer as standard now.

Hopefully I'll have another couple of murderous nutters finished shortly.

7 comments:

  1. Not only the paintjob is awesome, but the story behind is pure genius :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Suber. A backstory usually increases the immersion/hilarity of any game the character is in hugely for me. As it is with most gamers, I imagine.

      Delete
  2. Nice background for your miniature, which at first seemed to us to be a relative of the mythological blemmyes, but which has a much more disturbing story behind it...
    The paintjob is great and we particularly like the tone of skin. We would never have suspected that you could make glazes with Contrast paints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rodor. Indeed, Contrast makes excellent glazes. The Contrast medium opens the range up to a myriad of uses.

      I do love blemmyes. I have a few classic ones to paint up as tribal encounters for Ghost Archipelago or some such, and a Chinese Xing Tian giant for my terracotta warriors army.

      Delete
  3. A splendidly mad looking figure and of course a lovely paint job…
    Contrast paints are extremely flexible… I have found them invaluable for painting horses and armour.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aly. I'm really enjoying the Contrast. It feels more like using watercolours, especially with the medium, which I think is vital to getting the most out of them. I'd love to know how you approach using them on armour.

      Delete
    2. I agree with Aly, lovely paint job and a thank you for the complement on the 'splendidly mad looking figure' ;)

      Delete

Wayland Games

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...