So, the long vaunted new paints from GW are almost upon us, in April, it seems. The new ranges will be base, layer, shade, dry, glaze, texture and technical. That's a lot of types. I wonder will it be something akin to the Foundry paint system, where the paints come in sets of three — shade, base colour and highlight? I'm very curious as to how the system is designed to work, and if the existing range will have some manner of conversion chart to the new one so if you're half way through an army and run out of liche purple you're not just going to have to eyeball it.
I will miss the old names and paints though, a single tear might be shed for chaos black and skull white as they amble off to join their discontinued brothers, such as tentacle pink...
Here's the info and list as it stands, taken from Stahly's Tale of Painters:
- 144 colours are in.
- lots of renaming of colours, nothing is leaving.
- All in different catagories now, Shades (washes) bases, layers, glazes (thin washes) and textures.
- Prices are staying the same.
So it sounds to me like the main thing GW is doing is reorganizing the line to make it more clear which paints/washes/etc are designed to be used in what situations.
- There are 144 paints (the current line is only 73), so the range is doubling in size.
- Broken down into Bases (foundations), Layers (normal colours), shades (washes), Dry (essentially goopy paint for dry brushing), Glaze (thinned washes for easier blending), Texture (sand + colour) and Technical (liquid green stuff).
- Bottles are not changing.
- Every color is renamed, there will be a white dwarf with a comparison guide released. Blood red is now wild rider red, ultramarine blue is Calgar blue, skull white is white scar etc etc. There is a big expansion in the greens. There are pinks again, and more purple.
- Foundation white!! Named Ceramite White
- New how to paint book that includes a 90 minute DVD
- Mega paint set available year round now, but is super expensive apparently. Prices are apparently the same (for now).
Stegadon scale green
Death world forest
Steel Legion Drab
Mechanicus standard grey
Abaddon Black (the only black in the range)
Balthasar Gold (metal)
Screaming Bell (metal)
Warplock brown (metal)
Flash gitz yellow
Troll slayer orange
Fire dragon bright
Evil sunz scarlet
Wild Rider red
Altdorf guard blue
Temple guard blue
Tau light Ochre
Pallid wych flesh
Runefang steel (metal)
Agrax earthshade (Devlan Mud)
Mourn Mountain snow
Liquid Green stuff